Wednesday, November 9, 2011

To Read, or Not to Read: A Reader's Dilemma

I am currently reading (aside from Obasan) a book called On Monsters by Stephen T. Asma.  It's a great philosophical look at monsters--not just Frankenstein's monster, but people as monsters like serial killers, etc--that is really quite interesting.  I took it out of the school library last month, and have slowly been reading and enjoying it.

Now I am facing a dilemma.  I already renewed the book once, because I got busy with homework and couldn't finish it before the due date.  As I was back to finishing it, I had to start reading Obasan for my literature class (on a side note, Obasan is really an amazing work...do read it!) so On Monsters was placed on the back burner.

I am sure it is coming due at the library, so I am wondering if I should just return it unfinished.  That's the thing I dislike about taking books out of the library.  Time constraints are placed on me, and life just gets in the way.  I'll probably just return it, because I am eager to start another book in my to-read pile.  It's one I've been looking forward to for some time...

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand why you don't just renew it and read it at your own pace if enjoying it? Although, I do understand the urge to read something else you have been waiting for. It's a book geek thing.

    I am going to check this book out, though. It sounds right up my alley. THANX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I HAVE already renewed it. Hahaha For some reason I just can't bring myself to do so again. I COULD finish it easily, because I don't have much left to read... You understand, though.

    Oh! Do read it! It is quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some "human evil" component books that wax philosophical on the basis of monsters, like serial killers. The allure is undeniable for someone whom studies human behavior and has seen so much.

    ReplyDelete