Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Reading in the Digital Age

For a long time I was someone who pooh-poohed the idea of an e-reader.  I will always enjoy the tactile experience of holding an actual paper and cardboard construction.  There are other things that come along with reading a book (over an e-reader), like the smell of it.  Especially an older book that has that thrilling smell that I liken to the smell of an amazing adventure that awaits within.  (Yes, I know that that smell can mean bad things for the book, but I still enjoy it.)

It was hard to sell me on the idea of reading books in a digital reader.  I thought about all those negative things, like screen glare, etc.  That is, until my mother (who is an avid reader herself--albeit one who doesn't like the smell of an old book) got a Kindle last Christmas.  I refused to look at it; to be drawn into its charms (which according to my mom and my sister, it had). 

One day, however, curiosity got the better of me and I gave it the once over.  No glare.  Light weight.  Could look up words you might not know.  I started to win me over little by little.  I still couldn't get on board with owning one, even though I talked to some friends who really were enjoying theirs.  I asked all the questions one asks about how it works, and how much people enjoyed theirs.

I was sold after looking at Amazon.com.  (The price drop didn't hurt, either).  I asked my mother to buy me one for Christmas.  She gave me the money to order it--I ordered the Kindle Touch--so it would be linked to my Amazon account.  I placed the order, and received conformation of shipping just the other day. 

When I received the e-mail that it had shipped, I got very excited.  I went to look for free books offered by Amazon, and wound up downloading 86 titles.  They are mostly classics that I have never read, or have never gotten around to buying a hard copy of.  I'll admit I might have gone a bit crazy with the downloading.

So here it is, November 23rd, and I am expecting it to be delivered to me today.  Granted, I cannot open it, or have anything to do with it until Christmas.  That bugs the crap out of me, because I want to look at it, and play with it a little.  Instead it will be sitting there in its unopened box, taunting me.  That is, unless I can convince my mother to give it to me as an early graduation/birthday gift (both of which take place next month--the 16th and 19th, respectively).  I might just try that, and have her pick me up something else for Christmas! 

2 comments:

  1. I was against the e-reader at first as well. But I think back to when I was in grad school and I did not have time to read "normal" books. One of my BFF's said I should do audiobooks since I drove so much and had all that "open time" to waste. Well I was APPALLED IN ABUNDANCE! That's not reading! Where's the experience of reading a book with the feel and smell? It's absurd. Finally, I gave in with ONE book download from Audible.com assuming I would HATE it. And I didn't. It was the first "Sword of Shannara" book and I was blown away by the narration. I was off to the races! Thus, it took me less time to get on board for the e-reader after the audiobook acceptance.

    You know Im writing this AFTER You reeived yours via the man in brown and I'm so glad you got it. Now we need you to review it on your blog so we can compare our experiences with our Kindle Touches. You also need to name it, dear. Please disclose the results of that! I await with baited breath. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to review it, yes. I have named it, and have retweeted you. I will disclose it (again!). ;)

    ReplyDelete