Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reading Habits Questionnaire (Part I)

I am not much of a blogger, as I tend to just...let them fall by the wayside. But my friend's survey spurred me to write about my reading habits. Here's the first part of the questionnaire.  Maybe I'll just keep writing about reading...


1. Favourite childhood book (s)?
Anything by Roald Dahl. The BFG is my favorite of his books. I also enjoyed The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L.Frank Baum.

2. What are you reading right now?
Obasan by Joy Kogawa. I am reading it for my Multicultural American Literature class. I am also reading On Monsters An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears by Stephen T. Asma.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I...uhhh...owe some late fees to the library right now... hehe

4. Bad book habit?
None whatsoever.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
See question 3.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I will be receiving a Kindle Touch for Christmas. I am not a HUGE fan of e-readers, but I do like the Kindle. Way to go Amazon!

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I prefer to read one book at a time, but I can multitask them.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
This is not the first blog I have written, but it doesn't change my reading habits.

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)
There isn't anything too...bad...that I have read this year.

10. Favourite book you've read this year?
The Order of Odd-Fish by James Kennedy. It is a magical YA book! I posted a review on Good Reads which I will link to at some point.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
What is out of my comfort zone is trashy romance (like Harlequin). So...never.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I read anything, and I mean anything. Except for trashy romance.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes I can read on a bus. Or in a car. Or on a plane or on a train! I can read books anywhere!

14. Favourite place to read?
Anywhere I feel comfortable.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I lend books to trusted friends who promise not to mar them.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?NO! That is a cardinal sin!

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
I've never had a reason to, but I wouldn't.

18. Not even with text books?
On occasion, but it's still bad to me.

19. What is your favourite language to read in?
English, but I can read rather well in French.

20. What makes you love a book?
Honesty. In characters, and writing style. As long as it isn't pandering, it's OK by me!

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
It's gotta move me. Make me laugh or cry. And the person I am recommending it to must enjoy the genre.

22. Favourite genre?
I don't really have a favorite genre. I read most anything, so I can't pick a favorite.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Not that it's a genre, but I rarely read classics. I do pick them up now and again, but I would prefer to read more of them.

24. Favourite biography?

I have never actually read a real bio. When I was young I read a younger readers book on The Beatles (my favorite band), but nothing recently.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

I do not read these if I can help it. (I like the answer my ginger friend had!)

26. Favourite cookbook?
Hmmmm... My grandmother's cookbook. I think it's Better Homes and Gardens, or something.

27. Most inspirational book you've read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
There hasn't really been anything I've read recently that has resonated as "inspirational" this year. I have read Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Am Running. It inspired me to write a bit, which I don't do often enough.

2 comments:

  1. No trashy romance, eh? Well, I have to say I mostly don't read that stuff either, but I don't mind that ASoIaF series had TRASHY scenes. LOL My romance comes in victorian/regency/edwardian, as I have proclaimed before with my love of Jane, Edith and the Bronte sisters. SWOON!!!! I do love "Lady Chatterely's Lover" by DH Lawrence from 1928. It's got BOTH sans the Harlequin douchiness. Try a classic? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might give them a look, of course. ASoIaF is a little trashy, sure, but in a great way! ;)

    ReplyDelete