Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reading Habits Questionnaire (Part II)

28. Favourite reading snack?
This just happens to be my favorite snack, in general: Sunflower seeds!  ;9

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I don't listen to hype.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't take stock in what a critic says, to be honest.  I may just enjoy the book for the experience of reading it.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
There is only one book I gave a negative review to.  I never even got past the first chapter.  I honestly don't recall the title, either...  It was forgettable.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Hmmmm...  Japanese.

33. Most intimidating book you've ever read?
Evil Genes: Why Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed and My Sister Stole My Mother's Boyfriend by Barbara A. Oakley.  Some of the science was well over my head.

34. Most intimidating book you're too nervous to begin?
Nothing intimidates me about a book.  Though there is always a feeling of intimidation, mixed with awe, when you read a classic that you've never read.

35. Favourite Poet?
Matsuo Kinsaku (better known as Basho).

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Around four, when I take them out.

37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?
A handful of times.  That one book I mentioned that I couldn't finish...that one was one.

38. Favourite fictional character (s)?
Recent:  Vish Puri (from Tarquin Hall's novels), Davos Seaworth (from A Song of Ice and Fire series), and many more.
Classic: Mr. Bennet (Pride and Prejudice--he may be my favorite fictional character EVER!) and Ford Prefect (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

39. Favourite fictional villain?
It's hard for me to choose my favorite literary villain...  As I generally do not like the villains.  Mrs.Coulter from His Dark Materials comes to mind.  As does Saruman from Lord of the Rings.

40. Books I'm most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever I am reading before going on vacation, I suppose.

41. The longest I've gone without reading.
I read every day.  Even if it isn't from a book.  I read articles, etc.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Here it is, the title of that book from several questions.  Darkmans.  The first chapter didn't hook me, and was so boring.  I couldn't do it.

43. What distracts you easily when you're reading?
When people are trying to speak to me.  Otherwise, I tune a lot out.

44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?
Pride and Prejudice, the BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

46. The most money I've ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
If we're talking textbooks?  Over $600.  If not, only ~$50.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I don't skim.  I read the blurb and go on that,usually.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If the writing is boring and slogs on.  Ugh...

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Hahahaha Noooooo way.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you've read them?
Keep them.  Always keep them.  My precioussss...

51. Are there any books you've been avoiding?
Hmmm...  Books that are in-your-face!  "EVERYONE ELSE IS READING THEM, SO SHOULD YOU!"  Yeah, don't tell me what to do.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
None that I can think of.

53. A book you didn't expect to like but did?
A Game of Thrones.  I am usually not that into fantasy like GoT, but it worked its magic on me.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn't?
None that I can think of.

55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Novels from the Star Wars expanded universe.  Many don't like them, but I like to keep up with what's going on because I am a huge geek.

4 comments:

  1. I love that we agree on the P&P adaptation with Firth and Erle!! It IS the best one.

    Also, I agree on the READ IT CUZ EVERYONE ELSE IS crap! I fight that tooth and nail. It took til book 4 was coming out of the Harry Potter series before I gave in. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree because we are awesome! ;)

    Yeah, don't force feed me books. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say "If you can't make me eat the American classic meal meatloaf, then you can't make me do crap!" Yep. That's my philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meatloaf? I love meatloaf. If they could make you eat meatloaf, they would be able to make you (do) crap. HAHAHA Poop joke.

    ReplyDelete